17 April 2008

Quito, Ecuador

I don´t know what I´ve said at the check-in in Cartagena, but instead of paying $30 airport tax for exiting the country I paid only $10. My satisfaction was shortlived. In Bogotá my brand new Leatherman Micra was confiscated at the security check point. Oh well.

Quito is cool though. I don´t know why, but it is quite relaxing here. No altitude issues, but still can´t sleep for more than 6 hours a day. Since I only had two days in Quito, yesterday I started early. At 7:30 am I was already wandering the streets of the historical part of town.




Plaza Grande, La Merced, Plaza San Francisco, Plaza Santo Domingo - I covered it all in two hours, running up and down Quito´s hills, taking in the beauty of my first Andean city. The biggest challenge was climbing up the hill for Basílica del Voto Nacional. No, not even that - climbing up the basilica´s tower was breathtaking. The last part in form of iron ladders to the top with no rails was scary to say the least.







In the afternoon I went to Mercado Santa Clara to taste some delicious local food followed by a tour of the local craft market.


pork with potatoes

This morning we made a trip to equator, walked a couple of times across the hemispheric line at Mitad del Mundo (Middle of the World). The tour at Museo Solar Inti Ñan was fun, especially demonstrations of water circulation north, south and dead on the equator. I got my passport stamped along with an official certificate saying I managed to balance an egg on a nail on the equator.

After another round of great food at the market I made a trip down the steep hill to Guápulo, a very cute neighborhood that is hardly ever on any tourist´s to-see list.



I feel I´ve seen enough of Old and New Quito. I am ready for my 8-day Galapagos trip!! Leaving tomorrow at 5:30 am to catch an early flight.

More pictures are in Ecuador set on flickr.

2 comments:

Lost Lama in translation said...

Hello,

My name is Sabine. I am a friend of Itto.
I am also planning a small trip (South America)-leaving on September, but as I found very difficult to wait till Sept, she gave me your blog address, hoping it will help! And indeed it helps! You make wonderful pictures. And all the practical informations and costs you wrote, will also help me organizing my trip.
Enjoy yours!
Sabine

Dudado said...

Sabine, you are very welcome! Email me if you have any practical questions.