02 April 2008

Oaxaca briefs. Part 5 - Oaxaca

So Oaxaca itself. Foremost, the name - I love it. Locals pronounce it almost like wohaca. Local cuisine - comida oaxaqueña. A local - oaxaqueño.

The historical part of town is shaped as a rectangular with the main city activity happening between Zocalo with its cathedral in the south and Santo Domingo in the north. This part of town is well-renovated and a lot of old colonial villas have been turned into boutique hotels with the most romantic gardens and corners. The old streets are not bad either. One story buildings in bright colors and spanking new paint on Cathedral and Santo Domingo make Oaxaca a postcard beautiful colonial town. For less glamor and tourists one can walk two-three blocks away from the main pedestrian street of Macedonio Alcala and enjoy buildings before they get "face lift".

Santo Domingo is the site in Oaxaca:






Political graffiti on the walls of HSBC bank that was painted over the next day.


Some street views:








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ! Besides your very high skill on photography and your extremely good taste on taking photos, a good camera is a must. May I know which camera you use? Did you solve the passport problem?
Good luck
FFC

Dudado said...

I have a Nikon D70, nothing fancy to be honest. Maybe one day I will buy actually something decent.

Yes, I solved the problem. I will write about it very soon. I just need to finish my posts about Oaxaca.