10 April 2008

leaving Bogotá

I am leaving Bogotá in couple of hours and could not be happier about. Not that I did not like it here, but I am definitely looking for something more special and different. Bogotá feels like just another big urban hive, people are busy commuting to and from work.

I hit all the streets in La Candelaria (historical center) - from the top where streets are flooded with students to the bottom where all the touristy sights are located. I visited the temporary exhibit of the Gold Museum and Botero Museum. Gold pieces of indigenous people are marvelous and I can´t wait to go to Peru and Bolivia where this culture is more apparent in everyday life. Bogotá is definitely not overwhelmed with tourists. When I went to the top of the mountain (one of the key sights) with a funicular I was the only tourist up there. Last night at football match we were also the only gringos. I am not complaining, I am surprised.

Colombians are very attractive people. I don´t know how they stay fit as the most common food around here seems to be deep fried chicken and empanadas. I miss Mexico where almost everything I tasted was delicious, not the case of Bogotá. Three days into the trip and I must have lost 3-4 pounds. My diet is horrible - coffee, beer and diet coke.

Bogotá is bordered to the east by a mountain range - dark green forests often in clouds make the city so much prettier. The altitude of 2600 m keeps the city quite cool. The nights are cold. I had to pull out my sleeping bag to stay warm at hostel. Altitude adjustment took a day, although walking up the stairs at Cerro de Monserrate (the panoramic view trip) left me breathless. I am worried about my Machu Picchu hike. But for now I am going down. Cartagena is the next stop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is the coke?

Anonymous said...

Hi ! Well It seems that you are arriving to the same conclusion that I stated on a previous comment to one of your posts about this trip. I did not knew that you go to Caratagena also. For me much better, no comparison, but did not made me "cry for more". One thing that Colombia is very good, is probably the most beautiful women in south america are there.., and this is the reason of great part of tourists..;:-)
FFC

Anonymous said...

Yo Inna, nice entries. Just took me like an hour to catch up on everything. Sounds like you're having fun! Jealous. Sorry I couldn't make it out to the party but it was kind of last minute notice for me and I never got the email to any of my accounts! Anyways, hope all is well, catch you on the flip side.