09 April 2008

Bogotá, Colombia

I have arrived, no adventures from the doors in Brooklyn to the hostel in the central part of Bogotá. My brand new backpack and untouched guidebook reveals my true identity - a virgin traveller. But as with age, dirt will come.

On Monday afternoon the city looked grumpy with a heavy overcast. The only colorful thing in town was the Colombian flag. Or was it me who was grumpy with an hour of sleep on Sunday night? First I managed to get lost in a city with a grid, then I made my way to Plaza de Bolívar where two handsome policemen walked me to the tourist office for a good map. By the time I was all set to explore beautiful La Candelaria, it got dark.





At night I got a glimpse of how Colombian upper-middle class lives in the northern part of the city. Thanks goes to my former colleague and his family! It must have been the coca tea at dinner, but at 11 pm at hostel I still had the energy to join a beer drinking party. The party turned into a masquerade and photo session simultaneously - a Brazilian guy was pulling out of his backpack glasses, red noses, Viking hat, nurse hat, etc. Needless to say my first night was fun.


Today already in a company of two I headed north to a small town Zipaquirá that is famous for its salt cathedral. It is an absolute must in Colombia. Completely underground in the former salt mine inside the mountain there is a functioning cathedral (services on Sundays only) with another 1 km of paths inside the mountain depicting life of Jesus. I was stunned in disbelief that this construction is of salt. Yes, I licked the wall and it was salty! To my surprise there were no tourists, we were almost the only ones inside. Amazing! Some blurry pictures below.







Cute town of Zipaquirá:


4 comments:

mb said...

Hi!!

-mb

Anonymous said...

are you done with your economists?

Anonymous said...

when and where is your insead interview supposed to be?

Dudado said...

not done with economists. interview might be arranged in south america. don´t know.