19 March 2008

Oaxaca - the last day

Last week in Oaxaca went by in half dead half asleep condition. Classes were enjoyable, but by 4 pm I was in no condition to party or explore the city. However, I did walk to Zocalo (the main square) one night to see folks dance to the band. Cute.

The pressure was on! After getting out of school on Friday afternoon I rushed to the city center to catch a taxi collectivo (taxis that pack five passengers, three behind and two upfront) to nearby villages to finally start exploring the Oaxaca Valley known for different folk art. That hot afternoon was not my lucky day. I got lost and by the time I figured out from where those taxis departed it was already too late in the evening. Instead I dragged myself through two local markets on my way home to get ready for a salsa night. I expected fireworks on the dance floor from local dancers, but nothing could compare to salsa dancing I evidenced in Rome 4 years ago. Maybe it was the club or the local style, but I left early to get some sleep for the weekend.

Finally, the weekend! I packed tons of activities in 48 hours I had away from school being completely unkind to my feet. I saw ruins of Monte Alban and Mitla. I visited a small village Arrazola famous for its alibrijes (carved wood animals), experienced a little bit of Zapotec culture in Tlacolula. Saw the city festivities prepared for the upcoming Easter and Palm Sunday. Not to mention delicious food on the way and my shopping spree. My weekend is worth a couple of separate posts once I sort through hundreds of pictures.

Today is my last day in Oaxaca, heading back to New York tomorrow morning. Definitely bad timing since a lot of cool people arrived to school this Monday. I can't wait to start my long trip when I can be more flexible with my schedule. For now I have a long to-do list in New York starting with a dentist appointment, embassy visits and shopping for the content of my backpack!

No comments: