25 March 2008

Oaxaca briefs. Part 1 - Monte Albán

No visit to Oaxaca goes without a tour of Monte Albán, the center of Zapotec civilization dating back 2500 years.

We beat hordes of tourists by taking a cab (M$100 or ~USD 10), which got us to the entrance of Monte Albán at 8 am. We were the first ones to arrive, thank you very much.




The ruins were peaceful and untouched. Mild morning sun made even old cactus look great. Writing my diary on the top of the column or sleeping for a bit under a cactus made my morning blissful. I felt I was mediating without meditation.







Leaving the emotional impressions aside, I was intrigued by the history and art of these Zapotec people. As the names of different indigenous cultures got mixed up in my already confused head, I realized I need to structure my knowledge about Pre-Columbian Era. I heard of Inka, Maya, Aztecs and Anasazi, but I definitely need to catch up on the history to get ready for my South America trip. There is always a very useful table from Wikipedia.



No comments: