12 March 2008

Mexico City, Day 3

On my last full day in D.F. I took a bus south to a neighborhood called San Ángel. Walking the narrow streets lined with beautiful colonial haciendas, I felt I was intruding into Saturday morning of aristocracy. Wearing flip-flops today was a great idea; it made my stroll through cobble stone streets even slower than usual. I loved every little detail – doors, tiled numbers and street names, little windows, bright colors. I could only imagine how beautiful gardens are behind the walls of some haciendas. My pictures don't do the justices to beautiful San Ángel.









Zigzagging through tiny streets I made it to Altavista Street, where Diego Rivera’s House is located. Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo lived in this avant-garde dwelling from 1934 to 1940. A house, designed by Juan O’Gorman (see UNAM photos for his other work), consists of two separate buildings, connected by a narrow bridge on the roof. Diego Rivera lived in this house until his death in 1957.



The bed, in which Diego died.

San Ángel is also famous for Bazar de Sábado – Saturday art market around Plaza San Jacino. Majority of shoppers were locals, not tourists, so the stroll though tents was very pleasant.





No comments: