14 July 2008

Three months have passed. My conclusions and observations

Skipping my two month conclusions, I am going straight for "wisdom" of the three month long non-stop travels. Obvious conclusions, really...

1. Travel´s spoiler is a human tendency to compare things and experiences. I wish I could turn off my "oh, I have seen better and tried better" mood now and then. The more travelled I become, the harder it is to get impressed.

2. I found that traveling fast is sometimes the way not to get bored. Getting back on the road is a great feeling just by itself, no matter what the next destination is.

3. I feel more and more "homeless". Envy people who actually have a home to come back to. I don´t have anything remotely similar. I do not even have bulletproof plans for the next 24 months in terms of locations. On one hand it makes me immune to homesickness. Three months on the road and I am not yet tired of traveling - do not miss comfort, routine, known environment, wardrobe, etc (miss my perfume though!!!). I miss certain people and moments, but they (ppl) are all over the world, so I cannot point to a certain location where I would rather be now. But I am still jealous of that "coming back home" excitement. Still I would NOT change a thing in my travel plans.

4. I realized I underestimated the people factor. I am definitely having more fun when I meet travelers I truly enjoy. Again, duh, it is obvious, but somehow I expected that the scenery would overweight the lack of communication (I even wrote about it in February!). It did not really happen. While going on my little road trips in the US (California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Alaska) I never felt lonely.

5. I think I learned more about cultures of other backpackers than about those of countries I am visiting. I had no idea about the British and Irish drinking culture...

6. Somehow my backpack got wider. I believe it means I can go shopping in Buenos Aires.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I defenitely agree on "travelling fast". My experince exactly (in one month long trip, though).

lelia_br (Ol'ja)

Anonymous said...

I fully agree with your "Point 1" . I am "suffering" of the same problem, and I am a traveler from about 30 years, and now it is very hard to get impressed.
Well, about the other points you wrote, no comments. You are begining this wonderful priviledge of being a traveler, not a tourist, and your comments are reflecting that. 100% understable.
Best wishes of good luck and success
FFC
P.S.- British and Irish drinking problem or attitude? Well, scandinavians, russians, ukrainians, and similars guys, turn british and irish in heavenly angels of virtues..

Dudado said...

FFC thanks for reading from the start :)))

Anonymous said...

interesnoe summary
jevgenij