22 July 2008

Español - me encanta mucho?

Spanish... Oh, I have so many comments about Spanish and my studies!

1. First of all, my Spanish did not improve significantly while traveling in S. America. I understand more now, but I do not speak any better. Why? Because I did not really speak much to locals, it just did not happen for me. I spent most of the time with fellow travellers whose first language was predominately English. Why travellers do not speak with locals in Ecuador, Peru or Bolivia, it is a completely different topic. So for three months I was using my basic Spanish to answer where I was from, buy a bus ticket, ask for directions, negotiate prices and order food. Nada más.

2. I first heard Spanish in Spain. And I loved how they pronounced certain soft sounds. When I got to Mexico I was told "to loose" my soft "c" in gracias. After three months in South America, soft "c" and other similar sounds sound funny to me! It is incredible given that Bar[th]elona was the reason I started my studies.

3. No news to people who know me personally, but I realized I am impatient with my Spanish! I want to speak not translate. I am OK with the accent, but I don´t want to speak English in my Spanish bad interpretation! I am being ridiculous! I calculated I only studied Spanish for 92 hours in my life! How many hours did I spend studying English? Years and years, not to mention 4.5 years living in the US. So I took a placement test yesterday and I am in level Intermediate 2 (the 4th level out of 8). If for some students in my class subjunctive tense is repetition, it is news to me. Also I have to study by myself passive voice as it was part of Intermediate 1. I also studied simple past by myself because I missed it in Oaxaca, Mexico. I am trying to convince myself here that I have no reason to be impatient and upset with myself.

4. What else did I realize yesterday in the class besides that I am confusing all the endings and accents (á, é...) (at first I thought accents are for decorative purposes only, how wrong I was!). I realized I am lazy!! Yeah, I would have been perfectly happy to slack off for a month in BA. Why did I decide to study? Now I have to do homework and systemize all the tenses and conjugations I learned in the past. I only paid for a week of schooling, so maybe I will take vacation during my vacation?

5. Spanish is hard. If I knew there were 17 commonly used tenses (in different modes) I would have never picked up that book in the first place! And then different endings, irregular verbs that become regular in some tenses and regular verbs that change to being irregular. Ah, ah and on top of that all Spanish-speaking countries have particularities. If only pronunciation would be different. For example, in Argentina they say "vos", not tú for you, and verbs are conjugated slightly differently. Then the use of words is different. Name of fruits changes differently, verbs are used differently... My basic "I take pictures" has at least three version I know of. Yes, I am complaining, it is my hobby just as taking pictures.

Leaving for classes...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I've been enjoying your blog posts about Bolivia and Argentina. I spent about a month living in San Telmo. Loved it, especially the street musicians.
I've been offered a job in Oaxaca, at a university, so I'll be moving there in September. Pachuca was becoming too commonplace. So another adventure, another chapter -- and hopefully I'll buckle down on my Spanish as you are. Anyway, keep blogging.
An admirer.

Dudado said...

Ahhhh, Oaxaca. I miss it so much. It is my unfinished chapter :) I wish I could come back one day!

Thanks for reading! I wish there would more readers like you - outspoken :)

I hope you will enjoy my Africa notes too, you know, not just Bolivia and Argentina.

Yours,

Dudado

Lost Lama in translation said...

Hi,
I also really enjoy reading your posts and look at your marvellous pictures.
Nice to read you are in Buenos Aires (aka BsAs, and not BA, told me a friend of mine, married con una portena!). Living there sounds really nice. I'm planning to do exactly the same than you: first travel through Peru and Bolivia, and then stay in BsAs in order to enjoy portena life and take a course!
But first of all : a small trip in NY just before Peru, in order to see Itto : I wanted to ask you if you could tell me what are the specific shops in NY where I can buy clothes and shoes and several things for trekking and travelling in general (as Itto knows nothing about that!!).
Thanks a lot and enjoy BsAs!
Sabine

Dudado said...

Sabine,
Thanks for your comments! Say hi to Itto from me.

EMS store is great on Broadway (just above Prince) in Soho. Another sports store is on Broadway above 16th street (Union sq. basically). Cheaper ones are outside of Manhattan. I bought a lot online on campmor.com

Dudado

Lost Lama in translation said...

Hello

Thanks again.
"Hi for Itto" done.

Sabine

Anonymous said...

i do suspect that you are overly critical of yourself. but then again, you obviously know better than me where you are standing.