14 February 2008

Moments of wow

I have a good idea for experiences I am looking for. I am searching for that “wow” effect – the moment that makes me stop speechless and overwhelmed, a moment that makes me life pause. It is popular to talk about appreciating the current state of life, not postponing life until whatever, but it is not always easy to do (just follow the words of a buzzed guy reading out loud “Power of Now” book in an oasis on playa of Burning Man 2007). Well, those “wow” moments while traveling definitely bring me to reality, right to the moment I am in, feeling tremendously blessed and happy.

I can always name my top three “wow” moments.

1. Greece – wondering around Santorini alone at siesta time – I believe I was playing with cats under these blue tables for at least an hour. Also in Oia at sunrise, before large cruise ships arrive, catching warm rays of sun was a blessing.





2. Finding Gold Point was the highlight of my ghost town hunting in Nevada a couple of years ago. Sunset in the desert literally in the middle of nowhere would have been enough, but I also got to talk to one of the seven residents remaining in that microscopic town.





3. Alaska – of course. Who did not have his “wow” moment in Alaska? My trip’s favorite picture is from the last morning on our adventure cruise. I actually slept through the sunrise, I guess recovering from my 180 degree flip in a kayak into ice cold water the day before.



However, my "wow" moment was when I rented a car and drove north from Anchorage. I got lost on a secondary road, turned off into a parking spot, walked down to the river and almost got my pants wet scared by a gigantic beaver and the looked to my right – wow. Shallow river at the backdrop of mountains covered in glaciers. It took my breath away.



And I can go on.

Traveling solo is my way to go. With fewer distractions I notice more, think more and go through greater emotions. Although I would lie if I have said I can survive more than a week without an interesting conversation with other human beings.

To get things rolling, I created a little map of my “hopeful” itinerary. Aggressive. Realistic? Airtrack website is a pretty cool resource for mapping out the travel route with approximate ticket costs.

No comments: