25 March 2009

Indian Stories - part 7 - Mumbai


I was suffocating in Mumbai for 3 days. I do not remember a city more humid than Mumbai. I guess what was pissing me off the most was a complete lack of budget accommodation. The cheapest room was 10 times my usual expense per night, but in much worse condition. They say that the real estate in South Mumbai is more expensive than in Manhattan. To live far away from the centre is not only not much cheaper, but also very cuborsome given the size and layout of the city. Mumbai is the 4th largest city in the world with the population of 17 million people. The Mumbai's Suburban Rail Network transports about 7.2 million [source] commuters A DAY. See the post about the dangers (10-15 people die daily on tracks). To compare - 700,000 people pass daily Grand Central in New York and 3.7 million people pass through CST Station in Mumbai (former Victoria Terminus). So you get an idea.

The Victorian architecture and completely crazy Thief Market were the highlights of the stay before I was heading south.


No comments: