16 March 2009

Indian stories - part 4 - Jaisalmer

If in Bikaner I felt "I finally found it" ["it" being that adventure, that discovery feeling about a place, hospitality and curiosity of the locals], then in Jaisalmer I lost it again. Jaisalmer Fort with its narrow streets inside, Jain temples and millions of souvenir shops is gorgeous. I look at every picture in my album and I love it - the colors, the shapes, the texture... but it was difficult. 10 days in India and I was still untrained in dealings with local annoyances. I had to escape the constant haggling in the privacy of four walls of my guest house.

Better late than never (only 5 months later) I will show the beauty of Jaisalmer:






I visited all three mysterious and beautiful Jain temples and I love my "alive" goddess. I admired the great detail in decoration, but I would not say I understood and remembered much about the ancient religion of Jainism. It is too complex to understand with my random visit to a temple or two.





The fylfot (swastika) is among the holiest of Jain symbols and as Jaisalmer has a significant Jain presence, swastikas (along with Ganesh) are seen everywhere, more than anywhere in Rajasthan. I even stayed in a guest house called Swastika [as an eco-conscious tourist I stayed outside the Jaisalmer Fort :)]





Lastly, no visit to Jaisalmer is complete without watching sunrise (or sunset) over the Sam Dunes in Thar Desert.



More pictures on flickr set. Please tell it is quite pretty, no?

No comments: