31 August 2008

Starting overland tomorrow!



I am getting ready to go on my big overland tour to Zambia through Namibia and Botswana. I am going to see the real Africa – as real as it will get for me this time. Preparation includes shopping for anti-malaria medicine and adaptors, making copies of my passport, visas, insurance; repacking, laundry, and arranging post-departure flights, accommodation and activities.

Since I did not get Zimbabwe visa, I am leaving my group on the last day of the overland to catch a local transfer from Botswana to the Zambian side of the Victoria falls. I spend fours night in Livingstone, fly back to Johannesburg, maybe visit Drankesberg Mountains (cannot enter Lesotho – visas again!) and head to Mozambique on my second 14-day overland through Swaziland and back to South Africa through Kruger National Park. The day after I fly to India.

A special thanks goes to Rob and Shawn from Detour Africa, a travel agency here in Cape Town. Without them none of this would have been possible. I would have still been arranging my visas and what not. The guys are absolutely charming, extremely helpful and knowledgeable. To my surprise I found that travel agencies here can offer you cheaper prices on tours than the tour operators themselves. Arranging everything with Detour has been definitely one of the highlights so far and I know how cheesy it sounds.

We were told to expect the unexpected along with no connection to the outside world for the next 20 days. I expect to get some kind of internet connection in Namibia and in the end of my overland in Livingstone. Internet in Africa is expensive; and you are charged for volume.

Mapping it all out:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi ! I have been very busy abroad, and I did not realize that you are now in Africa, after all your Visa problems....!!! All the very best of lucks, and I will try to check your blog daily !
Travel during day light, and start early on the morning! Watch your back !!
FFC