06 August 2008

African nightmares in Buenos Aires

Today I can confirm that information is GOLD.

Over the last week I was going crazy about my upcoming trip to Southern Africa. It started off nicely - I was researching all the available overland tours, companies, their reviews on forums, etc. Then I started to look into my visa situation. To my surprise the embassies I needed did not really exist in Cape Town (Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe). Everybody and everything was suggesting I should fly to another side of the country, to Pretoria, to obtain visas first. That would have ruined my already perfectly planned itinerary. I emailed the embassies in Washington DC, in Pretoria, to visa handling firms in South Africa, to travel agents, to tour operators, almost to anyone who would listen to me one simple question - how do I get Namibia and Botswana visas in the shortest period of time. I also realized I cannot end my overland tour in Zimbabwe (visa takes 8 days to process in Pretoria), have to go to Zambia (can buy visa on the border). Yet again I had to go through all the tours and note, which overland company ends in Livingstone (Zam) rather than in Victoria Falls (Zim). To confuse me even further, I was told on forum that due to political situation in Zimbabwe a lot of tours now end in Zambia anyway. All of this is very boring and not interesting, but challenging and quite stressful.

My life has changed yesterday when I talk to Rob from Detour Africa in Cape Town. He said, yes, he understands why I cannot go to Zimbabwe, not a problem, I can get transfer to Livingstone on the last day of the tour. And yes, it is very easy to obtain Namibia and Botswana visas here in Cape Town.

I go silent. WHAT???? Easy? I've been emailing half of South Africa because I cannot obtain visas in Cape Town.

Rob - Yes, give me 5 minutes to call. Yes, Namibia will cost you R465, 30 minute processing time, Botswana - R614, 1 hour processing.

me - WHERE?

Rob - in downtown of Cape Town, both countries have some sort of tourist offices here who issue visas.

I could not believe it. I got numbers and I called South Africa today to verify. Yes, it is true. I can get two visas basically within a day. Is it magic or what?? How is it possible that google does not know, LP forum people do not know, embassies of the respective countries do not know, tour operators do not know, but Rob does.

I am relieved, happy and excited. Yet again my persistence paid off.

No comments: