06 August 2008

African nightmares in Buenos Aires

The Embassy of South Africa in Buenos Aires is the most ridiculous institution I have been to in my life. According to the visa department, there is a 50% chance the embassy will not accept my passport for processing BECAUSE I AM NOT A RESIDENT OF ARGENTINA. I was told I was supposed to apply for a visa in the country of residence. Nothing wrong with my application (I was though asked to present my itinerary in SOUTH AMERICA up to this date, entry and exit stamps in my passport are not enough!). Just procedure.

I did try to get a visa for South Africa in advance. In March the RSA embassy in New York said I could not apply so early in advance. I left two weeks later.

So far my impression about South Africa is beyond bad. I DO NOT COMPREHEND. I wish I could. I have obtained visas for Brazil in Bolivia, for India in Argentina and never heard that I could not apply for a visa in the nearest embassy. The RSA website says otherwise too - visa processing for non-Argentinean residents takes longer, but it does not say it is impossible. But then again, rules do not apply here. I can point to that website for days and years. I was told (do not understand meaning tough) - "We refer, but we do not follow up!". What did the lady mean? They would refer my application to New York, but would not follow up? Or do they ship my passport and forget about it? or they advise me to ship my application to New York? By the way, New York embassy does not seem to have out of the country service either, just out of state.

It might be just the way the embassy treats "unwelcomed" tourists. Maybe I have been spoiled so far and embassies are there to treat you like shit, to make sure you realize the entrance to their beloved countries is an honor. To spend money in their country is a privilege. Obey the letter of bureaucracy and remember you are NOBODY.

At this point I am so disgusted by the whole story I do not want to go. I understand I make no difference, but I wish I could bring this story to somebody's attention who does.

Even if my application is accepted, I take this personally. I consider myself the best visitor ever - I spend money, take beautiful pictures and advertise the country. Not even being understanding of my situation is outrageous.

4 comments:

PD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi ! I am sorry to know that you are facing problems on getting your visa for RSA in Buenos Aires.
Well, there are solution for that, if you fly to Mozambique or Namibia, via JHB in transit,( not Gaberone, Botswana ), and try to get a visa there in Maputo or Windoek. Both countries have important embassies, and due to proximity things usually move very fast, if you buy on a local travel agency a "package travel" for to visit,(for example), the Krueger Park, the travel agencies have all good "connections" for to get a touristic visa at RSA embassy. You buy the package, the lless expensive as possible, but you get enough time visa for hanging around in RSA. It happen with some of foreign friends I have, that visit the country Mozambique. Involves some risks, not too much, and visas abroad for Mozambique are usually less complicated and faster. The country is very, very poor, but they welcome very much tourists,and in spite of many other local problems, tourism is a well cared industry. I am afraid, but this is my possible help and suggestion. Well, a small remark about a comment of "Polina" about corruption, RSA and URSS; more corrupt, violent, brutal and social fascist than URSS, honestly I do not know similar on the world history, and unfortunately Russia is a copy of URSS, but instead of the "Nomenklatura", they have the Mafia and the social is out. Now there are only fascists living on a fake democracy. What is happening to Georgia is a cliché of URSS-Russia, hipocrisy, cinisn, long time corrosive interfernce on Georgia for to create internal divisions there, etc, etc, and now this brutal agression. Mr. Putin and "sus muchachos" are the worst people on the planet, (not the russian people, that I really respect and love 100%), and regarding the RSA corruption and other problems, RSA is a playground for kids when compared with Russia. I hope Georgia become another Afganistan for Russia, or even worst.
FFC

Dudado said...

FFC, thanks for your advise, but at this point rerouting through Mozambique will cost me a fortune (bigger fortune than canceling Africa all together) and extra time that I do not have. But most importantly at this point I have no desire to go to RSA. The attitude and unresponsiveness from all RSA Embassies I tried to reach is a big turn off for me (Namibia, Zambia, Moz, Zim embassies respond, but RSA does not). There are plenty of amazing countries with normal attitude I can spend my money in.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I agree and I understand your position. In one word, "amén".
Good luck,
FFC