15 June 2008

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

The southwest corner of Bolivia and the area around San Pedro is an absolute treasure for those who like desert and Mars alike landscapes.
So San Pedro is touristic (and rightly so), but in off season I found the village to be an adorable place inhabited by super nice folks. I did three tours in one and a half day and I missed out on another five, not to mention opportunities for sand boarding, horse riding and biking. Any direction you are headed you will find something amazing to see - salt desert, lagoons, geysers, volcanoes. One drawback though - San Pedro is expensive compared to all the neighboring countries and Chile itself.

The first half-day trip was to Atacama Desert, Flamingo reserve at Chaxa Lake (Laguna de Chaxa).

Perfectly shaped Volcan Licancabur (5950 m) is dominating every landscape.



Salt Lake and reflections of Andes mountain range:




The next morning I left at 4am for geysers El Tatio. We have arrived there at half past six in the morning. Outside there is barely a hint of sunrise and -10C. It was so cold that I could not care less about geysers. But then when the sun was up I appreciated the different shapes and formations of geysers.







In the afternoon I visited Valley of the Moon (Valle de Luna):





More pictures in Chile collection.

1 comment:

Yuval said...

I knew you'de like the poeple there :)
Lovely writing, as always...