07 June 2008

Changes to the itinerary

Small changes:

A week ago I was planning to leave La Paz and head west to the heights of Lauca National Park in Chile and then go down to Iquique for a day of paragliding. Through San Pedro de Atacama I thought to return back to Bolivia. But then I changed my mind. Lauca N.P. is above 4500 m, off season (read - freezing). The idea of walking alone in the cold with my now 15 kg backpack and a 7 kg daypack was slightly too adventurous for me. So I left La Paz last Sunday for Oruro, still thinking of going to Lauca NP. Then on a bus I decided to go to Uyuni (luckily there was a Sunday train from Oruro to Uyuni), cross the Chilean border with a 3-day tour of Salar de Uyuni and return to Bolivia through the northwestern part of Argentina (Salta area).

Big changes:

I decided NOT to return to New York in August, but fly directly to South Africa from South America. So far I found a direct flight from Buenos Aires with Malaysia Airlines. It means I am celebrating my birthday and getting visas in Buenos Aires. It also means I am changing my route in South America. I am going up from Salta to Bolivia through Tupiza, Potosi, Sucre and Santa Cruz. Then I am taking a 17-hour train through soy plantations to the Brazilian border (off gringo trail!). In Brazil I hope to visit Bonito, maybe do another tour of wetlands near Campo Grande and then fly across Brazil to Salvador. From Salvador I would work my way down by the coast (sandals? shorts? temperature above 10C? - ahhh) to Rio de Janeiro, then the Iguaz
u Falls, maybe Uruguay and finally Buenos Aires. Two and half months to go.

Finally, I found a way to map my route (from La Paz):

No comments: