09 June 2008

From Uyuni (Bolivia) to San Pedro de Atacama (Chile) - part 1

Before I planned my route in South America, I knew I had to visit the Salar de Uyuni. Those landscapes from the southwest corner in Bolivia seemed to be out of this world.

x

I arrived to Uyuni by train at 2:20 am and at 3 am I was already under four blankets, freezing without a hint of sleep. At 9:00 am the next morning I bought a tour leaving at 10:30 am, ecstatic about my efficiency and perfect timing.

Day 1.

The first stop was at the cemetery of trains (Cementerio de Trenes), 3 km south of the town.

Colchani, a town on the edge of Salar de Uyuni with a few salt processing factories.

We are entering Salar de Uyuni, the world's largest salt flat at 3,650 m above the sea level.




Isla de Pescado with cactus in the middle of salt desert:





Sunset in the middle of Salar de Uyuni:

Spending the night at amazing salt hotel on the border of the salt flats. Walls, beds, tables, chairs are made of salt. Quite crazy!

Day 2.

We left the Salar, driving towards San Juan through gorgeous desert on very bumpy road. We see vicunas and a few bushes. Otherwise, it is absolutely dead.

At 11 am we arrived to Volcan Iruputuncu that is still active. We are at 4000 m above the sea level and I start feeling the altitude effects.



I feel like we are passing the prettiest landscapes without stopping. If it were up to me, we would have made the same distance in a week, but with thousands of pictures versus only hundreds!

At lunch time we arrived to Laguna Cañapa - gorgeous lake at 4150 m a.s.l. Some drivers of jeeps are feeding foxes. Not very eco-friendly.



Hedionda Lagoon, blue water, flamingo, windy!




We are still climbing up - Desert of Siloli at 4800 m, thin area, windy, cristal clear skies.



The next stop is at stone forest - Arbol de Piedra (Stone Tree)



Finally, the highlight of day 2 - Laguna Colorada. The water is purple from the minerals. Crazy!

No comments: