17 June 2008

Salta, Argentina

I have spent a week in the Salta area enjoying amazing mountains, wineries and most importantly people. I felt I arrived to another planet - people were so nice! An older couple stopped us on a street for a chat, gave us apples and orages. In all the stores we were asked where we were from and they really were curious. When we said thank you for something, they responded: "No, no, thank you!" I was pleasantly surprised (or more accurate would be - stunned!). I think just this attitude would have made my visit here pleasant, but on top of that the area is magnificent.

I spent two days in Salta. At first I was slightly shocked at how European the city was. I would say there is nothing to do in Salta, but eat well. It takes half a day to visit the plaza and maybe take a finiculur to the top of the mountain for not-so-special views. The main attractions are outside the town and the best to explore them in my opinion is to rent a car for a couple of days (also cheaper than going on multiple tours). So that is what we did.



We started with so-called southern circle - from Salta to Cafayate, from Cafayata on unpaved road to Cachi, from Cachi back to Salta.

The road 68 becomes scenic 45 km north of Cafayate - Quebrada de Las Conchas with various red rock formations. See pictures.







In Cafayate we visited two wineries and one goat cheese factory with the latter being the most entertaining of all.






From Cafayate we took Route 40 (the logest road in Argentina, over 5000 km) to the north, visiting and sleeping in a cute tiny place called Angastaco, then Molinos and Cachi. The mountains here fell on their sides - Quebrada de Las Flechas. Through the national park of cactus (cardones) we returned back to Salta for another dinner at Old Jack steakhouse (Viejo Jack). I must have eaten half a kilo of steak or more.

On the fourth day we headed to the north of Salta towards Tilcara on a winding route 9. At around Tumbaya we started seeing colorful mountains. Quebrada de Humahuaca is famous for its seven color hills at Purmamarca. Sliced mountains at the town of Maimará are also very cool. Tilcara is a nice tourist hangout where we stopped for an expensive lunch. After a visit to Purmamarca at sunset we headed back to Salta.






The Salta set on flickr

At night we went to the mall (!) and watched a movie (!). Sex and the City movie! Everybody can start laughing at me now, but I liked it!

The next day I was off to Bolivia. It took me 18 coldest hours of my life to get to Potosi.

2 comments:

Yuval said...

I knew you'de love it there :)
Lovely writing as always

Anonymous said...

1) who is "we"?
2) how was the wine?
3) did you write my godfather?