19 February 2008

Vaccinations

Pre-departure preparation is in full force. Today I can hardly lift my arms from all vaccination shots I have received. And I am not done yet! Far from it.

Since my travel itinerary includes all contagious countries I am spending a fortune on vaccinations.

Yellow Fever $125
Diphtheria/Tetanus $45
Typhoid $70
Hepatitis A/B (twinrix) $175/dose - 3 doses ($150 at my primary physician)
Total $765

Luckily (lol!) I got my rabies shots in my stomach at the age of 10 after being bitten by a neighbor's cat. Rabies vaccination is good for life or at least if I need anything it will be after being bitten by an animal. Nice!

Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella are taken care of in the childhood. Thanks to my organizing skills, I have my immunization passport with all vaccinations since 80'ies.

A great resource for information on virus affected areas is on CDC website. After reading it though I got a bit scared :)

There are quite a few vaccination centers in New York City, however, they all charge a consultation fee ($100 average) plus a cost of vaccine. I found an exception in Financial District - very friendly stuff at Medical Associates of Wall Street (212-233-3040, 156 William Street) will make all the vaccinations necessary (incl. a rare yellow fever vaccine) at the cost of vaccine. Twinrix (Hep A/B) is cheaper at my primary physician, so I will try that next week.

No comments: