31 July 2009

Hopping the Gili Islands, Indonesia


Gili Cat speed boat from Bali to Gili costs ridiculous $60, but if that was the only problem.

High season on Gili Trawangan and I wanted to kill myself how much I hated it. So many people, so much development, so little beach and quietness. I definitely did not understand what the hype was all about. Koh Phi Phi seemed like a paradise right there and then.

The next day I took a public boat to the next island – Gili Meno. I was happy I moved. This was more in line with what I was looking for. Quit and very tranquil Meno with its beautiful beaches won my heart over for the next 4 days. I met two sisters from Moscow, so the days went by very quickly, perhaps even too quickly. We took a snorkeling trip around the island and saw the turtles. The corals were not that great, so I just hope people who dive at Gilis are not disappointed.

In two days families with kids arrived to Meno, so kids-haters beware!

I heard Gili Air is the compromise of the party Trawangan and the quiet Meno. Still with magic 8 to 9 hour daily sleep, sun baths and swimming activities in the perfectly warm days (breeze + no humidity) I was getting my rest.

I stayed at Kontiki on Gili Meno. Good value for money.

More photos of Gilis


On another note.

Now I had time to read my Indonesia guidebook. Because of Bali tourism, arranging travel from Bali is easy. However, travelling between different regions of Indonesia appeared to be much more challenging, it requires significant amounts of time and best arranged on the spot. Thus, risks must be taken of flying into, say, Maluku, looking around for ferries that take ages (and sink?) or flights that fly couple of times a week. When I read Lonely Planet off-beaten path routes requiring 6 weeks to 2 months, I thought they were kidding or planning long breaks in-between destinations. No, that is just remote Indonesia. Given that 30 days is the longest tourist visa on arrival, I can’t see those areas (Papua, Maluku, Katinkalan) developing any time soon.

No comments: