30 May 2008

Copacabana & Isla del Sol

Copacabana is a very cute town, touristy only along the main street leading to the docks. Since I missed the morning boat to Isla del Sol (Island of the Sun) - I forgot about the time difference between Peru and Bolivia, I had a chance to walk around simple streets of Copacabana accompanied by two homeless dogs.

In the afternoon I headed to Isla del Sol, where according to Inca legends the sun was born. Climb steep Inca stairs from the tiny port to the top of the island (4000 m) left me breathless. I could tell immediately I was hiking in high altitude.

The rest of the day I spent walking through the southern part of the island, enjoying the views from both west and east. I was after a very specific sight - I saw snow peaks in the sunset´s pink light when I was driving to Bolivia the night before.







The morning cristal clear views:


At 1:30 pm I boarded a bus to La Paz. Even by that bus ride I could tell I liked Bolivia the most so far. Look at these mountains (shot from the bus window):




Many more pictures on flickr.

No comments: