19 March 2010

sanity of my craziness

it has been a crazy month preceding what yet is destined to be the apogee of my calamity.

last week on london tube I caught a woman reading a HBS case, reminding me of recent INSEAD past. having great side vision I captured the title - manage your energy, not your time. how timely, I thought. I managed to read the summary in brief faster than the girl! I guess my high speed reading class 12 years ago was not a complete waste! the article is great: it summarizes the well known principals of psychology and physiology. the trick is to actually use it. I will start by hanging the summary next to my screen at work.

so what's going on??

I started a new job in a new industry, function, and country. it's been a while since I was 1) working, 2) learning so much new, 3) overwhelmed, 4) challenged. one bullet point is enough to exhaust a person, but I have 4 of them. and two more:
- I am travelling a lot
- I am not settled and need to relocate

since mid-Feb
w1: London, 2 days Dublin
w2: Silicon Valley
w3: San Francisco
w4: London
w5: Dublin
-
w6: London, 2 days in Amsterdam
w7: London, then Tuscany
w8: London
w9: Dublin, weekend in Paris
w10: London
w11: Queen's day, Amsterdam
w12: relocating to Dublin, weekend in Riga

needless to say how exhausting travelling is, especially the late night/early morning departures/arrivals.

and on top of that I am still to find an apartment in Dublin, pack myself in London & Riga, get my boxes from France, find a doctor, a dentist, a yoga class and a bank.

This level of stress keeps me busy. I am still trying to do the impossible and actually have a social life in London, meeting my friends almost everyday I am here. And everyday I tell myself I should stop. This activity level is not sustainable. I've been there, done that. I know I need to take it easy before a major breakdown. So I decided no travelling in June - no Iceland I am afraid :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, apparently all of us already missed out on major attraction-- volcano eruption. That volcano was sleeping since 1823 and has been erupting for last 3(?) days. So its OK, with some luck, Iceland will still be there when you travel next time ;)

-YL