30 January 2010

Nairobi debriefs - part 2

Still Thursday

I met Anna for a drink, another INSEAD alum, who is working at Technoserve and just launched a large program between Technoserve, Coca-Cola and Gates Foundation to help local farmers [story here]. It was interesting to hear her point view on expat life in Kenya.

Back at the backpackers world, I met Ben reading Seneca, a 24 year old from London, who bought a jeep and shipped it to Kenya for a 5 month drive in Africa with friends. With his law degree in Oxford, he is banking on a successful career as an M&A lawyer. He plans on working real hard for 14-16 years and then to retire, so now he is living the LIFE, driving through Africa, climbing mountains in Peru and Thailand. I am doubtful about his plan to give up on life for the next decade. You can never eat enough for a week, you will go hungry no matter how full you feel right now.

Friday: I was planning to enjoy my book and the sun today, but got an offer to join a trip to one of the Nairobi slums, where Katherina taught English for three months last year. The program is called 
Future Kids, supported by University Tier in Germany. By the time we reached Mathare North slum by taking a local bus and then matatu minibus I was already exhausted and dusty. It was hard to be looking around, and even harder to realize what life I was looking for. The sight was depressing to say the least. I would not be able to do what Katherina did, so I applaud her efforts. Best of luck to her at UN, and on a meeting with Barack Omaba's sister here in Nairobi.

 

The School's Chef - Chef #1


Future Kids,  Mathare North slum


On Friday night Bob shared the craziest backpackers story he witnessed staying often in hostels (management work for mines in Africa, any MBA interested?)
- an Israeli guy hitchhiked to Mozambique from northern Tanzania for 7 days straight without stopping for a night in a hostel
- a Dutch lady that drove tractor from Holland to Africa, then shipped her tractor from Cape Town to Anartica to reach the South Pole [read the story on her blog - http://www.tractortractor.org/southpole/]
- a guy from East Timor who walked barefoot the African Continent for 12 years

a bit too crazy for me.

--

Overall, I am surprised how friendly Kenyans are. No hassling at all. You get an offer for a taxi once, you say no thank you, and you are being left alone. Even bargaining at the markets was a pleasurable experience.

Tomorrow I am off for my 11 day overland trip in Kenya/Tanzania. Pictures will be posted after the trip sometime in mid-February!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)