22 April 2009

New camera

Speaking of photography, I am currently shooting with Nikon D70 that has completely depreciated over the last five years. It served me well, I cannot complain, but wear and tear is undeniable at this point as the sensor is beyond the repair. The camera survived sand storms of Burning Man, humidity of Thailand, and care-free backpacking all over the world. It is time to change and it is ONLY a question of money. I want Nikon D300 and maybe even a lens that is part of the set 18-200mm with all its cons, it has tons of benefits for someone like me - a lazy non-professional who likes versatility. My current 35-70mm lens is no good, my Nikkor 18-24mm/f 2.8 wide lens is still amazing.

I am wondering if I should just start with a Nikon D300 body and stop going out to save some money for it. Or buy the whole set and stop... eee... travelling?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try D90, it is much better and cheaper than D300. Body is ~$900.

Dudado said...

better? ok, I will look into that. D300 is about $1200, so not much more expensive...

Indy said...

D90 is not better, but it is a very good camera, best in its class + it has fancy video feature. Also, it is lighter and smaller than D300 (--> easier to carry around).

Major thing for me is that they have identical cropped sensor (some say D90' is even better). When I upgrade I'll go for full-frame sensor (D700 and up).

Otherwise D300 has 51 points AF (D90 has 11 points). It has more fps (better for shooting wildlife and sports), faster response. It is more robust than D90. You can use wider range of lenses with it. But on the other hand you want good lenses to go with it which means you'll end up spending more money.

Overall, you can get a photo of the same quality if you use D90 with a decent lens. But if you want to go beyond travel photography for your own pleasure D300 is probably a better choice if you can afford it.

Anonymous said...

После появления D90 о всех остальных Никонах можно забыть. Ему проигрывает даже Full Frame D700, а про D300 можно вообще не упоминать ;)

Unknown said...

hey, how did u take care of your camera at BM?
-vicky